Małopolskie and Podkarpacie
Two important for the Poland’s history regions with an old capital of the country Krakow as the most important city. Many old monuments of rich Polish history. Mountains of Karpaty from the South, with the beautiful mountain range of Pieniny and the Dunajec River below. Several castles on the tops of the mountains. During the German occupation of the WWII the Małopolska and Podkarpacie were incorporated in the German Reich, therefore many monuments were spared destruction by the occupants. Traditional tourist area of Poland with many attractions as winter sports and interesting excursions in this picturesque area.
Dębno's Castle; exceptionally well-preserved residence of the Dębiński family from the XV century. Built on a small hill, in the period 1470-1480 for Jakub Dębiński, the King´s chancellor.
Constructed from bricks and stones, on an irregular plan, with the courtyard inside.
Castle of Czorsztyn – An impressive ruin of the Kings of Poland gothic castle, dating from the XIV century, high on a top of the mountain with the Dunajec River below from north and west. Built from local stones, on an irregular plan adapted to the form of the mountain.
Castle of Niedzica; well-preserved knight’s castle; built in 1330 by a Hungarian family of Berzeviczy. Since 1410 returns to Poland. In 1470, conquered by Emeryk Zapoly and 1589 sold to the Horvath family from Palocsy. From 1857 in the possession of the Salamon family. Now state owned, open to the public.
Castle of Pieskowa Skała; not far from Cracow, among the bizarre calcium rocks, a big castle on a hill, originally built in the XIV century by the King of Poland Casimir the Great, later given to the Szafraniec family. Built from local calcium stones. Courtyard with an open loggia. Well preserved fortifications from the middle of XVII century. Below the castle superb view on a river Prądnik. Now a museum, division of the Krakow’s Wawel Castle Museum.
Castle Łańcut; very well preserved baroque residence built in 1629-1642 for Voivode of Cracow Stanislaw Lubomirski. Four three stories building closing a square courtyard inside with two towers on the front side of the palace. Italian Park behind the castle. Since XIX century until 1944 Potocki family residence. Nationalised after the WWII. After the fall of the communism the castle has been a subject of the negotiations between Polish government and the Potocki family. Today still state owned an important museum, interesting collection of horse carriages created by after the WWII by an Austrian Harry Herbert and a hotel.