Other names: Zamek w Malborku (Castle in Malbork), Krzyżacki Zamek w Malborku (Teutonic Order Castle in Malbork), German name: Marienburg.
One of many castles build in northern Poland by the Teutonic Order of Holy Mary in Jerusalem, a knight’s order limited to the German aristocracy, which was sent there in 1225 by the Pope to convert the local pagan population into Christianity. In 1226 the Order was given land as a feud from Polish Duke Konrad of Mazovia, with an aim to protect Poland against the attacks of pagan Prussians. The Teutonic Order grew quickly in power. With all their might the Teutonic knights exterminated Prussians, repressed local Christian population, started to threaten Poland. The bloody wars were fought and finally in 1525 in Krakow, The Grand Master of the Order Albrecht Hohenzollern swore on his knees the allegiance to Polish King. Today the Theutonic Order capital Malbork (Marienburg) is certainly one of the biggest gothic castles remaining in the world.
History: Castle in Malbork was built from red brick, along the river Nogat, on a flat surface of ca. 8000 with the smaller Middle Castle inside and still smaller High Castle built on a hill, on a rectangle surface of 60x80m. The construction began in 1275. Malbork has been since 1309 the capital of The Teutonic Order Of Holy Mary in Jerusalem. Malbork was taken by the Polish army in 1475 and became one of the residences of Kings of Poland until 1772, when it was taken by the Kingdom of Prussia, to be devastated in the years after. At the beginning of XIX century, after protests of the German society the castle’s demolition has been stopped in 1803 and since 1817 until ca.1940, the Malbork castle has been constantly reconstructed, under the guidance of several important German architects, with the best work done by the team of the historian Konrad Steibrecht in the years 1882-1921.
The feel: Huge red brick castle. Germanic, gothic, authentic, impressive through its size and ingenuity.
Today: A well-preserved medieval gothic castle and a museum. Inscribed in 1997 on the UNESCO World Heritage list.
Opening hours: High season (from 15 of April to 15 of September): Castle Museum is open 9.00–20.00. The exhibition rooms and the castle interiors close one hour earlier (at 19.00). The box-office is opened from 8.30–19.30. Low season (from 16 of September to 14 of April): Castle Museum is open 10.00-17.00. Exhibits and interiors will be open 10.00-15.00. In July and in August English and German spoken visitors, will be to buy tickets, with included foreign language guide price. Visiting Castle with the English guide starts at: 11.00, 13.30 and 15.30. Visiting Castle with the German-speaking guide starts at: 10.30, 13.00 and 15.00.
Closed: Mondays, 25th of December 1st of January and selected public holidays. You will be able to get to the castle grounds when the museum is closed.
Admission: adults 19.- PLN (€ 4,75), reduced ticket (children up to 7 years old, school youth, students) 12.- PLN (€ 3,-)
How to get there: By car – from Gdańsk, 82km, direction Nowy Dwór Gdański, by the international road E77 (Polish:7), after 58km, in Nowy Dwór Gdański turn right into the national road no.55 direction Malbork and continue for 24km. From Warsaw, ca.315km, by the international road E77 (Polish:7) direction Gdańsk. After ca.275km in the town of Elbląg turn left into the national road no.22 direction Malbork and continue for 29km.
Facilities and Attractions: Conference Centre 'Karwan', music concerts, knights tournaments.
Castle Malbork pictures
Nearby cities: Sztum, Kwidzyń, Elbląg, Gdańsk
Nearby castles: The Sztum Castle, The Kwidzyń Castle
|© 2004-2005 Castles.info - Information about the castles.|