De KlinzeOther names: Klinze castle hotel
Location: About 10 km northeast of Leeuwarden, the provincial capital of Friesland in the north of the Netherlands, reached from Leeuwarden by bike or car along the road N355 towards Hurdegaryp-Dokkum, turning left at the junction at Tytsjerk, towards Gytsjerk-Dokkum on the N361, then turning towards the village of Aldtsjerk (in Dutch, Oudkerk), where the estate is situated at 32-36 Van Sminiaweg. Alternative routes also possible.
History: The estate was originally built in 1655 by Hessel van Aysma and then sold to Jetze van Sminia. The Sminia family lived here for centuries, during which time the estate became an important cultural centre for the area. In 1877 the estate went through some expansive building which was nevertheless removed in 1900. In 1978 the last descendant of the family, Lady T.A.W. van Baerdt van Sminia, left the estate, after which De Klinze was renovated in 1986 and opened as a hotel in 1988. In 1991 the estate was sold to the Snijders family who continue to run the hotel. The estate is surrounded by an 8-hectare park, set in an area famous for its beauty already in the 16th century, designed in 1822 by the landscape architect, L.P. Roodbaerdt. There is an impressive driveway leading up to the house.
Access and activities: The manor houses a four-star hotel and beauty centre. The grounds of the estate are open to the public. There are stables at the estate featuring horses and antique coaches available for use to the hotel guests. There is also a restaurant and the possibility to arrange festive occasions. See Hotel De Klinze.
Nearby cities: Leeuwarden, Dokkum.
|© 2004-2005 Castles.info - Information about the castles, castle hotels and travel service|