Stari Grad Varazdin, Croatia
Location: City of Varaždin, Strossmayerovo šetalište 7, 42 000 Varaždin
This manor-house situated in the very centre of Croatian town Varaždin, used to seat feudal administration. This cultural monument of the highest category was built from 14th - 19th c., and has kept the appearance of a Renaissance fortification until the very present day. The fortification was built by the famous specialized engineer Domenico de Lalio and his associates. From the end of the 16th c. until 1925, Stari grad was owned by the counts of Erdödy, after which it came into the possession of the Varazdin municipality who then donated it to the city Museum. The last thorough renovation of Stari grad was undertaken from 1983 - 1989, when the new Cultural and Historic Department collection on permanent display was opened on the premises.
Established in 1925, the permanent exhibition located in the castle includes a number of both local and foreign items (about 30,000). The holdings have been classified into the following collections: Insignia; Guild Items; Paintings; Sculptures; Furniture; Ceramics; Glass; Costumes & Accessories; Photographs; Metals; Weapons; Cannons; Clocks & Watches; Historic Documents; Books, and memorial collections of Varazdin's outstanding citizens Ivan Kukuljevic Sakcinski and Vatroslav Jagic.
The collections bring testimony of cultural, economic, and political life in Varazdin and its surroundings.
Contact: +385 42 212-918, +385 42 212-919
|© 2004-2006 Castles.info - Information about the castles, castle hotels and travel service|